The Importance of Replacing Missing Teeth
Although a single missing tooth may not seem serious, it can lead to many consequences if left untreated. Without treatment, you may suffer misalignment, bone loss, and additional tooth loss. Board-certified oral and maxillofacial surgeons Sean Healy and Diego Hurtado offer several tooth replacement options at his practice in Santa Fe, NM, to meet your needs and help you enjoy a healthy, beautiful smile once again. To avoid the onset of more complex oral health issues, our office recommends seeking treatment for missing teeth as soon as possible.
The Consequences of Missing Teeth
Missing teeth can lead to:
- Bone Loss: Your teeth and their roots provide vital stimulation to the jawbone. Without these regenerative signals, the tissue will begin to recede. An article endorsed by the International Congress of Oral Implantologists found a 25 percent decrease in bone width after one year of missing a tooth.
- Collapsed Sinus Floor: When you lose teeth in your upper arch, your upper jawbone tissue will recede and the sinus cavity will begin to expand. Without prompt treatment, you may require a sinus lift to restore your candidacy for dental implants.
- Misalignment: Missing teeth can result in severe misalignment as surrounding teeth shift out of place. This has been linked to temporomandibular joint disorder and other complications.
- Changes in Speech: Your pronunciation depends heavily on your teeth. After losing teeth, you may find it difficult to pronounce certain words, or you may experience unwanted whistling noises.
- Additional Tooth Loss: When your teeth shift, they can become unstable in their sockets. Leaving a missing tooth untreated can lead to additional tooth loss and require more extensive and costly restorative treatment.
- Difficulty Chewing: Every tooth is vital to oral function. When you lose a tooth, your ability to chew properly can be affected.
Do not delay on undergoing treatment for missing teeth. Acting now can save you time and money on future treatments. It can also help you restore the health of your smile for years to come.
As the jawbone recedes and changes shape, your facial structure may begin to appear sunken or aged as a result. Patients with visible missing teeth may hide their teeth while speaking or smiling. Fortunately, we offer many effective means of replacing lost teeth and preventing detrimental side effects.
How Dental Implants Can Help
Dental implants can halt bone recession and restore your ability to eat, speak, and smile with confidence. For example, traditional dentures restore only a fraction of the functionality and comfort that a complete and healthy smile can provide, since they remain susceptible to shifting out of place. Implant-supported dentures, on the other hand, provide virtually the same level of comfort and functionality because they are anchored directly to the jaw. Implants are also the only restorative treatment known to halt the bone recession that happens after the loss of a tooth.
Why Choose Our Practice for Tooth Replacement?
Many dentists only place or restore dental implants, but an oral surgeon such as Dr. Healy can perform your treatment from start to finish in one office. Dr. Healy can plan and perform every step of your treatment in order to help you experience the very best benefits of dental implant treatment. Meanwhile, as a patient of our practice, you can enjoy the benefits of a warm and welcoming office while undergoing state-of-the-art surgical treatment.
Call Us Today
Do not delay seeking treatment for missing teeth. Acting now can save you time and money on future treatments. It can also help you restore the health of your smile for years to come. During your consultation, we can discuss your treatment options, help arrange financing, and explain what to expect during treatment. To schedule an appointment, call our office at (505) 984-0694 or submit an online contact form.